It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Raw Diet Recipes& Tips
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:04 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Heya!

I am about to get my bengal, who has been fed raw beef until now. When I get her she will be 15 weeks old, and I would like to continue the raw diet, as the breeder said she doesn't like caned/ dry food very much.

Where can I find recipes for raw diet? Do I need to add supplements, can I feed mice from reptile shops for example? Don't really know anything about it and the internet gives me so many different answers. Any tips will be appreciated,

Thanks for any advice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is a topic in the Nutriton section of this forum on feeding a raw diet. First of all, no live mice! That is is heartless for the poor mice. I know they feed them to other animals, but I would never feed one to my bengal. That being said. I would ask your breeder for HER recipe. Ask to purchase some of her raw food until you can get going on what you need. I think it is important to continue the exact recipe your baby is eating now. Ask your breeder what you need to prepare it -- a grinder to crush bones for example. You would prepare a large quantity of the recipe and put it in daily containers and freeze it until you need to thaw it out.

For a raw diet to be complete (and most feed chicken), you will need to include the organs (liver, heart) as well as bones for calcium (or egg shells). Cats must have calcium and taurine to survive. Pet stores also sell supplements that contain that which you can add.

Know that your breeder is the BEST source of this information and she should be willing to help you with this, recipe and all.