It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:59 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello, I would like a bit of advice on long haul air travel.

I recently travelled with my bengal cat (Bou) in the cabin from the UK to Asia. It was a 12 hour flight. However, my bengal was very anxious the whole time and meowed the whole way. It was very stressful for me and ended up staying in the toilet for at least 6 hours of the flight as the stewardess would refuse to allow me to take Bou out of his carrier.

I have to return to the UK in a couple months but am already anxious on how to do so. I know that UK law does not allow me to travel back with my cat in the cabin therefore I am planning to fly to France and then take a car service back to london (it is a pet relocation service) as the euro star does not allow me to take pets.

The main thing I need advice on is his anxiety - he meowed for the whole 12 hours.. I am very cautious on sedatives because I have heard many stories but am not aware of too many other alternatives. We had tried feliway during the flight which did not work and zylkene (starting around 2 weeks before the trip).

I would really appreciate any advice!! Thank you soso much!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. Another question on traveling with a bengal by plane. There is another topic under Discussion. I have never done this and never would do it. My bengal would not be a happy camper and nobody on the plan would be as well. You have experienced that. Note, cats are NOT allowed out of their carriers on a plane. Can you imagine if the cat started running around the plane -- under seats, jumping on passengers? I'm surprised planes allow cats in the cabin at all.

That being said, your cat is anxious and not happy in the carrier on the plane. This is quite normal. Cats do not deal with change well at all. Trust me, your only alternative is a sedative for the cat so he can travel safely and quietly. Your vet can prescribe something that is safe for his size and you may need to administer a couple of doses due to the long plane ride.

You have not said whether you would be returning back from your destination. While it is wonderful to think of taking along your kitty wherever you go, it's not always best for the cat. And, for me, the easiest thing is to board my bengal at the vet where he has a large cage with a 3-story condo in an enclosed cat room where he cannot escape. He may not be the happiest camper, but he is safe and I don't have to worry about him.

Airline passengers cannot tolerate having a screaming baby on board. You are not to be in the bathroom with a cat while the plane is in flight. A yowling bengal is as bad as a screaming child. Especially on a very long flight. If there is any way to not have to travel with your kitty, that's the way to go. You are going way out of your way to accommodate your cat, who probably is not going to enjoy the experience at all. And when a cat isn't having a good time, the owner is not as well.