It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:05 am 
Bengal Cat

Hi there,

I'll get straight to the point. When Vaatu was about 4 months old he had a super runny eye that he could barely keep open for about 24 hours. With 1 day of drops he was back to normal. Since then, he occasionally will slowly blink that same eye, making me wonder if he's in any discomfort. He's now 8 months old, and that same eye will be watery after he plays hard and runs around. He also has light brown crust in his nose some days. Not both issues at the same time, however. And lastly, he will occasionally make a short grunt/snort noise at the end of his breath...as if he had a hard time breathing. This happens randomly, sometimes when he's just walking around.

I'm not trying to self-diagnose, but if anyone could offer their thoughts and advice on the topic. I have gone through the forum to see if anything similar had been posted but nothing close enough, so I figured it would be worth asking!! I'll be taking him to the vet, but in the middle of switching at the moment!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Any time there is something different going on with any cat, you take it to the vet for treatment. You have probably diagnosed the problem. I have a moggie with runny eyes and since I have been giving him Lysine for cats, he has done much better. The poor baby is probably terribly uncomfortable with this condition. Switching vets should be an instaneous thing -- leave one vet with the records and go to the next one. I'm sure there is medication that will help treat whatever condition this may be. Google is great, but self-diagnosis is never perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:47 pm 
Bengal Cat

Sherry, I appreciate the response. & I wish it were that simple. With the abundance of vets near me I like to do my research. I have had very bad experiences in the past... Ie. one doc wanted to put my cat down instead of treating him. Anyways, thanks again! If you have any home remedies you've tried, please share. I'm also not a super fan of giving him meds.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Only the Lysine, which helps with the immune system. I understand about medications. It must be great to have an over abundance of veterinarians to choose from, but one has the best reputation of them all. Online reviews are helpful and maybe your friends who have pets have a recommendation for you. But, I would not wait much longer before seeing one. The condition cannot be easy on your little baby.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:48 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My Cat Rico has a bad eye because of Herpes from time to time. I got a tip from an animal healer, tried it and was amazed on how effective it was on him.

I gave him a tea made from Cistus incanus and licorice root. It supports the immun system in a way that does not boost the herpes virus. I prepared the tea freshly each day and he got a little spoon full on his canned food - as much as he would tolerate. The preparation of the tea is a little tricky. The licorice root has to be brewed with boiling water. When the water is cooled down a little, the Cistus incanus can be added. The rest of the tea can be consumed by the cat owner to prewent from getting a cold.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have never heard of tea for cats. It is always tricky giving something like this as cats can't enjoy everything we do.