[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Carrierphobia
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrierphobia
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Does anyone know of any UK Manchester vet practice that do call outs, I have searched but not found any, my problem is.

Simba is a very loving laid back cuddly chap until you try and put him in a carrier then he turns into a savage dangerous cat.

Their is nothing wrong with him right now but I'm looking ahead to when he needs booster injections or any veterinary problem.

Maybe some one has come across this problem before and found a solution, if so please do tell.

Post subject: Re: Carrierphobia
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are very few cats who enjoy riding in a carrier. It's just a necessary evil. I have fought with so many cats to get them into one. I purchased a carrier that also loads from the top. Makes it so much easier. if you have a front-loading carrier, the easiest way is to put it on it's tail end and put the cat in the long way. That way the cat doesn't have anything to cling to to avoid it. Vet care is a necessary evil. There are mobile vets who will come to you. However .... you will, in most cases, still have to carry your cat TO the mobile unit which can frighten a cat as well.

Most of us just get the cat in the carrier, tolerate the yowls all the way to the vet, get the cat looked at and treated, back in the carrier, yowls all the way home, Get into the house, open the carrier and the cat is FINE! Some recommend keeping the carrier out at all times and letting the cat sleep it it and get used to it. I don't do that. When it comes to cats and carriers, it's MY way or the highway. I have yet to have a traumatized cat once they have been released from the carrier. The vet experience isn't the easiest for you or your cat, but you both will make it through just fine. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My Pearl is a tiny 8lb delicate girl until it comes to the carry case for the vets.

I had to change from a material one which I have for my boy Magic to a hard rigid one as she goes totally nuts once I've got her in.

I find the best way if it's a front opening one is to stand it up on its end so the opening is at the top and I lower her in back legs first and then shut the door very quickly.

Then we have the business of screaming like a banshee all the way to the vets which I have tried to learn to shut off to.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have a carrier out all the time next to a radiator, and in fact, Hendrix is snuggled up in it right now.

I watched a programme on this problem a while back, and really it's about getting your cat to associate the carrier with good things, not just nasty vet visits. The suggestion was to give your cat treats, getting closer and closer to the carrier and gradually start to put them inside, further and further back so the cat has to go in it to get the treat. I've done this with Jagger and our last two vet visits, it was easier to get him in the carrier, plus of course it is ever present, so it's not unusual for him to see it.

I also spray the bedding with feliway half an hour before getting whoever is going to the vet, in to it.

I have a hard case carrier with a top opening as well, so if I do have issues, it is easier to get them in from the top.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Both my carriers are always open plus I have a 3rd bigger one I bought but Magic now decided it was his new bed.

Pearl will only look inside the bigger one but as soon as I go near it she's off like a rocket plus she hates the smell of the spray Feliway she pulls the worse stink face you ever saw :laugh2:

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I used to have really horrible problems trying to get Serafina to go to the vet. At one point I had to try to administer a sedative just to get her into the carrier. Of course I don't know which is harder... getting her to ingest a sedative or getting her into a carrier without one. :rolleyes: I'd have to leave about 1 hour for me to get her rangled into the carrier, and even then I'd often end up being late for the appointment.

Fortunately, she's mellowed over the years quite a bit. So now my tactic is:

Get the carrier out (quietly) and get it opened up.
Bring the carrier into the same room where Serafina is. Get it as close to her as possible.
Approach her nonchalantly, pick her up, and pop her right into the carrier before she knows what's going on.

I think what's helped is that it's no longer uncommon that I'll pick her up and she'll let me pet her. So if every once in a blue moon that results in her getting put into a carrier, she doesn't really make that correlation and "lets it go".

Good luck.

P.S., I think having a vet come to you is an awesome idea for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't really have a problem getting Raiden into the carrier, although he will start yowling immediately and won't stop until we get inside the waiting room (the big dogs shut him up). He's great for his exam and shots, back in the carrier with no problem, but starts the yowling in the car. The vet is 2 miles down the street, so it's not a long ride and I just turn the radio on. We have several mobile vets in my area, but I've never used them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:23 pm 
Senior Bengal

Katniss hasn't really got a problem getting in the carrier most of the time, she'll sometimes fight it, but I pick her up and put her in wearing thick gloves just in case. However she will turn into a savage as soon as the carrier gets put on the vets examination table.
She had her annual booster shot last week. It took 2 vets to inject her. One to hold her down with 2 towels and the other to do the actual injection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I used to take my two cats to the vet every month to have their nails trimmed. Until they got too big and difficult to transport in one trip. I would plan for days about how to trick Grace and get her into a carrier first since she was the biggest one who does not want to be picked up. Then the little easy one would run under the bed and hide inside the box spring. It just got to be too much so I gave up. But you still need to bring them in for annual shots so I finally invested in a large carrier with wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YM ... UTF8&psc=1

I have used it twice and it is big enough for both of them to fit. Although Grace gets a bit hissy about sharing it on the way home. Loading them at home is easier because there is plenty of room and it opens from the top. Then they are wheeled along out to the car and into the vet office. They are quiet and seem to be a lot happier than being tipped and carried in a smaller carrier. They still meow a bit but it is a much smoother process than before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a great carrier, Jill. Raiden's is large and heavy and I can barely fit walking down the stairs to the garage. I should probably get something smaller as he isn't in it for very long. I love the idea of wheeling him, although that wouldn't help going up or down the stairs either. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is pretty lightweight but large and roomy inside. It gets pretty heavy with both of them in it, but I don't have any steps to deal with so I just wheel them around and they sit quietly and enjoy the ride. The only challenge is lifting the carrier into and out of the back seat of the car, but at least I am not walking and carrying them. I think they prefer being in something stable and closer to the ground. Grace does not like to be picked up and carried. I think this is less scary for them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:24 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi all;

We only have one, standard large-size (but not going to be large enough for two male bengals) rigid plastic cat carrier similar to this currently:
41YucNJF2cL__AC_US218_.jpg

My two boys will be getting bigger and heavier of course so preparing for vet's / holiday cattery visits I'm thinking how best to move them around. To save money I am considering this extra-large carrier:
51oHiUR5lfL__AC_US218_.jpg
Mool Lightweight Fabric Pet Carrier Crate with Fleece Mat and Food Bag - Large (70 x 52 x 52 cm), Black (Amazon UK)

combined with this general purpose furniture moving dolly:
31zqgSUnxnL__AC_US218_.jpg

What do you think? I would rig-up some appropriate luggage straps or Velcro to temporarily connect the two, so I can lift out of the boot onto the trolley. I would also attach a leash of some sort to pull the combo around. Trolley has vinyl wheels so rolls relatively quietly, not the hollow rattle effect typical of a suitcase at the airport! Cheaper than a top of the range large wheeled carrier, folds-up to save space when not required, and I'll have a multi-purpose dolly for other jobs that I know I'll find useful. If you've not already realised nothing is a challenge and I like making things / being creative / ingenious.

I need to look for a top-loading carrier as expect Gus will be difficult to get in, Max less so, but also wondered about how easy a Bengal may be able to pull-open the zips? A cable tie through front facing zips would 'lock' them though.

Sorry so many questions.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had to take Raiden to the vet today for his annual visit. I love the top opening carrier that I have. He was a great boy at the vet. I love the wheels idea, although I don't know about putting two cats into one carrier. While carrying it, the kitties can move around and bang into each other. I think keeping them in the same carrier while traveling a distance might be a good idea. I just know Raiden is bouncing all around while I'm carrying him up and down 13 stairs and banging the carrier trying to get it in the backseat of my car.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mine are okay in the carrier together until it is time to go home and then Grace decides she wants to be alone. She hisses and spits at poor Blondie.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mine don't mind getting into the carrier (it's always open in one of the room and they do get in randomly quite often). They cry their share on the way to/from but I don't mind (whichever band I happen to play in the car doesn't mind either, especially if it's heavy music). And I always take two of them, even if only one needs attention. They like each other's company and especially Noha doesn't take kindly to being left alone. The only downside to having them both in a carrier is that it's damn heavy and uncomfortable to carry in one hand.

Lily & Noha - Oct 7th 2015