It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Indoor or Outdoor?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:54 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,
Just looking for some advice on whether or not a Bengal should go outside?
***Not trying to start a debate on the pros and cons of letting your cat outside** Just would like to hear from people who have/had outdoor bengals. I have had outdoor cats my whole life, but the breeder I got my bengals from said that if you let them outside they will just take off. Any truth to this?

Post subject: Re: Indoor or Outdoor?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 am 
Bengal Kitten

I guess it depends on where you live. I'm in Australia where we have a bit of a feral cat problem (my boys are neutered) but it's very common for domestic cats to have free rein outside at night. I'd be worried about them fighting and we live on a busy road, so would worry about them being hit or stolen. I never let my boys outside.
From reading a bit on this forum I'm guessing UK slaves let their kitties out a bit more than the US slaves :biggrin:

Post subject: Re: Indoor or Outdoor?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congratulations on your baby and welcome to the forum. To take outside or not to take outside. That is a real issue and a personal one. Members here disagree!

Your location is a huge factor. A busy street will yield traffic. Lots of kids will lead to the possibility of their wanting to hurt your cat. Traffic also means people can SEE your cat and STEAL your cat. Do you have coyotes, large dogs, other tom cats running around? They can injure and even kill your cat. Will your cat take off? If a cat has not set up their "territory," they may run off (and then a neighbor will feed your cat and take him away from you -- that's how I got my bengal. Actually, the neighbor gave him to me).

There are many other safe options. You can train a cat to walk on a harness and leash and go for walks. Know that once a cat breathes that outside air, it becomes addictive and your kitty will want walk after walk after walk. There are portable enclosures you can buy and place out in your yard that will allow your kitty to enjoy the outdoors. Or build a permanent enclosure that will allow your baby to enter through a cat door.

Yes, many of our members allow their bengals to go outside. We have had them "lost" and returned. It's just a scary situation when you let a cat out and then it does not return. Members pay good money for a bengal -- it's an investment that you should not want to lose.

Just know that bengals will yowl to go out and it can get on your nerves. I go through this every morning and afternoon when Raiden wants his walk and he wants it NOW!!!

For what it's worth -- I'd rather keep my bengal safe. I already have an outdoor cat that tends to get locked away in garages since he has to inspect every single one of them and the door closes on him. Thankfully, we've found him every time .... but we are just waiting for him to not come back.