It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 pm 
Senior Bengal

So previously I posted about our explosive diarrhea issues and constant trips to the vet and multiple expensive tests and prescriptions that didn't help and never diagnosed anything
The last straw for me was when I scraped together the money for the GI panel, starved my kitten all day as instructed by the vet, brought her in for the test and they did not do it. They said she tried to bite them, and they wanted to put her under general anesthesia just to draw her blood. There was no way I was going to do that considering I was not even convinced she needed this test.

I took her and all her previous test results to another vet, They told me I was given misinformation about her previous bloodwork when I was told it was abnormal. They said her blood work was "excellent" They said some of her values that were high were just because she is a kitten and still growing and that it is normal for a kitten.They said her high white count was not even that high and that it does not mean infection and could be just inflammation because of the diarrhea.
This vet seemed much more knowledgeable about Bengals and we had our vaccinations done right there and then, where as the previous vet had refused them all this time. They said it is fine to keep her on the food that she is doing well with and no need for prescription food.

We have also scheduled her spay in a few weeks when she turns 6 months old.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for the update. I am happy to know you have found a vet you are happy with and one who seems more knowledgeable. Poor Trixie. This is something she is just going to have to deal with -- doesn't sound as if there is a cure. I'm still going through this with my 12-year old bengal -- we may try a different medication in a few weeks. Thankfully, I'm very pleased with our vet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:27 pm 
Senior Bengal

She actually has not had diarrhea at all in the past 10 days ever since I stopped giving her the prescription food, I have my fingers crossed that she just has sensitive digestion and that the prescription food which is made of potatoes and poultry by products simply was not helpful to her. She had been doing well on her freeze dried raw food and just nibbling prescription dry at night but when I said so to the vet she was dead set against feeding her raw and insisted I should have her exclusively on the prescription food. so I did and That is when the diarrhea got worse and just poured out of her like yellow brown water. I think sometimes you have to just do what seems to be working even if the vet disagrees. The freeze dried food has probiotics and pumpkin already in it and our new vet said it is fine to have her on it She is up to 5 pounds now which seems to be a good weight for her at this age. We are all quite relieved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am loving this news. Maybe I need to take Raiden of the Rx diet and try something else. I do need to contact the vet and let her know we need to try some other medication.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:59 pm 
Senior Bengal

How is Raiden doing? I wish I knew how to upload a pic here because I would love to show you Trixie and her bald little belly which is healing very nicely from finally being spayed yesterday. She is all up to date on her vaccines now too and doing really well.
Maybe the freeze dried food we are using would be helpful for you too, I have seen a few people mention that it helped their cats with IBD

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden is doing fine. I've switched his food and am currently mixing the Hills i/d with Royal Canin Sensitive Digest dry food. I bought the wet Royal Canin sensitive digest canned pate food and he eats it fine. His poop yesterday was actually soft, but formed, which surprised me. Happy to hear Trixie weighed enough to get spayed and the is behind you. I've tried freeze-dried treats for both of my cats and they did not like them. With IBD, it is hit or miss with what may work. We'll keep trying. Thanks for asking about Raiden.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 pm 
Senior Bengal

That's wonderful! I'm so glad you found a food combo that's working for you and Raiden.
Trixie is still doing well too, I've been trying to limit her activity while she heals from her spay surgery but she still wants to run around like a nut.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

At least you are young enough to keep up with Trixie. I'm really too old to keep up with Raiden. A bengal just has too much energy for me, even though he is 12 years old. Glad Trixie's spay went well.