It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Purrs??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 am 
Bengal Cat

Do ALC's purr??
( A dinner table debate that was never settled)

Post subject: Re: Purrs??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:43 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hmmm. Interesting question. I thought all cats purr. Is it that some Bengals don't? Mine purrs, and he also growls when he has a toy that I'm taking away. I tried telling him he's not a dog, but he growls anyway. :surprised:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Interesting question. You can Google and read a bunch of articles. Since we are only lucky enough to know domestic cats that do purr, who knows about the other feline classifications. One article I read mentioned the smaller wild cats (lynx, cheetah) are able to purr while the larger cats (tiger, lion) do not. But, does it really matter? I know my bengal has a purr that you literally have to put your ear to him to hear it. My DSH purrs and you can hear him from across the room.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:34 pm 
Bengal Cat

This is what prompted the question.
My previous Bengal X purred like a chainsaw and when he used to wrap himself around my shoulders it was like a massage..lol.
The one I have now has just the slightest stomach rumble you can only feel if he sits on your knee.
Both growled loud..particularly when strangers come to the door. Blue has me really amused as just a few days after re homing him he was growling and defending 'his' new property but no purrs when patted but lots of treadling and occasional drools.
But if I purr at him he goes all cuddly so he knows what purrs are.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the pedigree of the bengal may affect the purr. I don't know if the ALC purrs, but the non-bengal cats in the pedigree may affect the loudness of the purr of any particular bengal. For example, Millwood Toby/Tory Of Delhi the Egyptian Mau introduced glitter in the bengal. If you have a bengal that does not have that cat in the pedigree, your bengal will not be glittered, plain and simple. Most pedigrees have domestic shorthairs, burmese, abys, somali, Egyptian Maus in the pedigrees somewhere. If one of them had a loud purr, it may have carried down. I don't really know, but it's interesting to envision.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:38 am 
Bengal Cat

Sherry that seems to be the best logical assumption at the moment.
I have looked at Youtube and every website I can find and get plenty of vocalizations but no purrs.
Even went back to my own classes 1993 study papers on Asian mammals and found nothing there ( Leopard cats werent there..hmmm. Let the side down there. )
Might have to wait until some one who owns one can tell us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't ever plan to get close to an ALC to hear a purr and most are not socialized to even have a human close to them. Some are -- but most maintain their wild temperament. A cat's purr seems to calm humans down. So I would love a loud purr from Raiden. But ... you can't hear him purr even when everything is quiet. I have to put my ear up to him to hear it.