[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Litter box habits?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Litter box habits?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Be very careful with Purine products. I don't know anything about their prescription products, but they do manufacture the cheapest food out there and many pets are getting sick and dying from it. I don't honestly know that Hills is any better as they use a third party in their manufacturing process and had dog food recalled with too much Vitamin D in the food, which caused several deaths.

Once you latch on to the food Trixie will eat and you get her to continue drinking water from a bowl, she should get better. I don't know that bengals, in general, have mushy poos over other cats. It just seems that all cats go through this at some point in their lives.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:05 pm 
Senior Bengal

OMG I had never heard that and the vet never said anything. My Maine Coon ate purina Fancy Feast wet and Purina cat chow dry and lived to be 16 I hope nothing is wrong with our new prescription. That is very scary.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Petco has announced they will no longer sell cat food with artificial ingredients i.e. Fancy Feast, Friskies, Sheba and a couple of other foods. Purina does have some higher-quality cat food, but Friskies and Fancy Feast are the cheapest and worst! As long as you check the ingredients and are happy with them, Trixie should be fine. I know you're trying to find something that will help her health as well as a food she will eat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The thing is, pet owners really have the right to feed their pets the food they want. I'm sure these pet supermarkets have gotten feedback from pet owners whose pets have gotten sick and died from pet food. I was in Petco not too long ago and they did have Weruva and Tiki food in there. I honestly get my food through Chewy as it is far less expensive. They are now owned by PetSmart so I don't know if PetSmart has lowered their prices to the Chewy level. It is not cheap to buy high-quality food. I spend about $250 a month with Chewy which may include litter, Litter Genie refills, filters for the fountain, etc. I have two cats and I feed some strays at our common area. Between the FortiFlora and Bravecto, it adds another several hundred a year. And vet visits on top of that. I could vacation every year in some tropical foreign land for what I spend on the cats. But at least the kitties give me enjoyment 365 days a day -- except for Raiden when he misbehaves and yowls all day. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:15 pm 
Bengal Cat

When I got Jagger the breeder was feeding him Earthborn Holistic dry food and 4Health wet, so I stuck with it. The ingredients seem to be good (all grain free) and he seems to really like it too. I get the Earthborn from Chewy and the 4Health cans from Tractor Supply Company. They're reasonably priced. Who knows really what's right? They could be a good brand for years and then suddenly you hear about a recall.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:51 pm 
Senior Bengal

the FortiFlora (which was not cheap and comes from Purina) seemed to make her diarrhea worse and the prescription food that she has been having for the last few days does not seem to be helping at all. I guess we will have to go back to the vet. It is not that I am looking for "cheap" food if you knew how much this has already cost me you wouldn't think that. I think this will be our 8th vet visit and I have had her less than 2 months so please don't think I am too cheap to try to help her. it's all I have been doing since the minute I got her.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We had lots of poopy consistency issues - you need to keep trying until you find the food that will work. However, in a bit of a catch 22 scenario, every time you try something new, kitty's tummy wilk take a while to adapt - have you tried a bland diet? Boiled Turkey / white first (not tuna or salmon), removing one type of protein at a time? (Chicken wasn't so good for mine, for example).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds as if Trixie has a really sensitive digestive tract. I know you've had her to the vet numerous times with a little improvement here and there. I know we've discussed this in a lot of topics with you. Have you tried a raw diet? It can be purchased at pet stores or online. I just wonder if something like that might help. I know the changing of food constantly isn't helping the situation -- but truly, there is just so much a vet is going to be able to do. Only so many tests that one can run to diagnose an issue. In the end, the poop stems from the food intake and the digestive process in the cat -- where something just isn't quite right. So whether it is a particular food the the system can't digest properly. Runny poop usually means the food is traveling through the digestive system too quickly. This can result in nutrients not being absorbed through the intestines which can result in weight loss. Trixie seems to be gaining. I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you and how upset you are with your breeder. But think of poor Trixie having to go through all of this. Totally unfair to her as well. You are a true saint for dealing with this the way you have.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:46 pm 
Senior Bengal

We saw the vet and finally got the blood work done that we were supposed to get last time. It came back abnormal so they don't believe it's anything as simple as a food sensitivity. Her white count is way up and her liver values were too high. Meanwhile she is back to having explosive diarrhea that shoots out like water. This is going to end up more serious than just buying different food. They are going to do a diarrhea panel whatever that is. I have to collect her diarrhea for a full day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry to hear about Trixie's blood values. But at least now you can move forward. Has the vet mentioned an ultrasound to see what is going on in the abdomen? And would you be prepared to spend the money that it costs ($300 to $400). They would have to sedate the Trixie, although I did have a cat who had one that just laid there for the tech. The thing is, you can't really start treating until you know what the problem is. Would a kitten have IBD? Raiden had two normal. poops and then went back to his liquid poops. We know what we are dealing with and have medication but may have to switch to something else. We are doing a B-12 value on Monday and proceed from there.

I know this is not what you signed up for with a new kitten. And only you can say how far you are willing to take this and how much money you are willing to spend on her. Raiden turns 12 later this month, Trixie is just a baby. Thus, you have a lot of years to deal with anything that may prove to be chronic.

What a sweetheart you are. Trixie is very lucky to have you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 pm 
Senior Bengal

3 to 400 would be nothing compared to what we have already spent, our first appointment was almost 600 and that was many appointments ago, the TF test was 317 which is why I found it kind of insulting for anyone to suggest it is caused by the "cheap food' I would buy. Also keep in mind when they say it takes up to 12 weeks for improvement on a new food if it was due to food intolerance that I have not even had her for 12 weeks yet and she had diarrhea as soon as I got her home, before I ever had a chance to feed her anything, and that I was told by the breeder to continue the cheap low quality friskies in gravy and iams that she had already been eating, which I chose not to do since she already had diarrhea. I have been sold a sick kitten, I didn't cause any of this and the purina naturals EN was 55 bucks a case, not cheap, the dry was not much less, and the regular en canned was 48.The probiotics were 30. The other foods I tried were between 20-50 The breeder may have said she was healthy but it was not until later I was told she already had diarrhea before I got her and had already been on amoxicillin and prescription food. I was not told I was buying a kitten who was the product of a mother who was pregnant as often as a homeless stray. As far as what I am willing to spend, what other choice do I have? Let her suffer? dump her at the pound? have her put to sleep? I would never have got her if I knew the breeders practices or that she was sick. But it's done and is my responsibility now. If she has some incurable disease and is never going to have a good quality of life I guess she will have to be put to sleep.

Yes ultrasound and bloodwork was suggested and that is what I thought we were doing last month when I brought her out in the middle of an ice storm when the roads were horrific because we had an appointment. when I got there the vet had "gone home due to weather" and they gave us another doctor who said it "would be a waste of money" and blamed it on me and that I had been giving her chicken broth since she wouldn't drink water and sent us home. Keep in mind when I got her she had never drank out of a bowl and did not know how and had never drank anything but her mother's milk who she was separated from at 8 weeks so her mother could get pregnant again. I spent the last year of my life taking care of a dying cat It was upsetting to the point that I told my husband I was done with pets forever. The only reason we got Trixie was because I thought a health guarantee meant she was healthy, not that I had 3 days to return her is she wasn't, like a pair of shoes that don't fit.
Anyway the vet said our next step before ultrasound is the diarrhea panel test whatever that is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry you were treated in that manner by a veterinarian. I hope it was the emergency vet and not your new regular vet. Seriously .... that is absolutely ridiculous nonprofessional behavior. Shame on your breeder. Think of the other kittens she has bred and how their lives have probably been. Very few owners would put up with everything you have for the sake of a sick kitten. You are incredible for doing caring for Trixie. Poor baby. This is not her fault. I know you want her to get better. Is the breeder a member of TICA, CFA, TIBCS? (She claims TICA and TIBCS)I would file a complaint against her. If they find she is going against their rules, they will take action against her. If nothing else, what she has on her website is fraudulent information. She claims to space out her litters.

I know your first concern is to get Trixie back to normal. I know what it is like to spend $$ on cats. It was over $7,500 last year (including food and supplies) for the two I have and most of that was for Raiden and his vet specialist. It was back to the vet today to draw blood for a $137.15 vitamin B12 test. It just doesn't stop when they aren't 100% healthy.

I'm guessing Trixie is special in so many other ways. And you just can't let her down. Imagine so many other cats who do not get the care that ours receive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:26 pm 
Senior Bengal

The breeder has the TICA logo on her website but that doesn't really mean she is a member in good standing. I could copy and save that logo to my own computer and post it anywhere. She has a "Bengal cat club certified breeder" logo to but that really doesn't prove anything. When you checked you said you see many of her kittens registered and no complaints

Anyway I just dropped off the poo samples at the vet for another 140 bucks. They said since this is a specialized test it can take a couple of weeks for results. I guess that gives me time to save for an ultrasound if that is what comes next.
Did you do all these tests to get your diagnosis? I feel like it is taking forever to find out what is wrong. It was January 12 when I got her and we have had constant vet appointments since.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your breeder has a registered cattery name with TICA. Basically, that's all it means. Some catteries get inspected and get to put on their websites they have been inspected. Anyone can pay a membership fee to TICA. However, as a breeder member, you must agree to obey their guidelines (which are on their website somewhere, I'm sure).

When it came to Raiden -- he started losing weight rapidly and was vomiting up to five times a day. Took him to his regular vet and they referred us to an internal medicine vet. We did the ultrasound and ran blood, urine and fecal tests -- only a higher white blood cell count was present. They recommended scoping him from both ends and doing biopsies. With his age and heart murmur, I didn't want to start with anything invasive, so we did the ultrasound which didn't show any lesions. The internist was keen on talking about lymphoma as the issue. We decided to start him on medication and see how he did. He gained a lot of weight (6 pounds). Most cats with cancer are losing weight. We got the vomiting stopped and the poops solid again so we cut back on the prednisone dosage and the cut back the metronidazole to once a day. Two months later, he was back to vomiting frequently. Back to our regular vet who raised the dosage of prednisone back to where we started. Well, the stools became liquid again, so I went back to the twice a day routine with the metronidazole. That's where we are now. They are checking his B12 levels (for the third time) (B12 helps with absorption of the nutrients) and waiting on those results. Raiden poops once a day, so this is not like constant diarrhea. He eats like a pig, behaves like a normal bengal.

I'm not really sure what a specialized fecal test may entail. Most vets can check for regular parasites, but the TF test has to be done outside the vet's lab. You've already had that done. Maybe a specialized test to see what the "content" is made up of. I don't know. It just all adds up and if you cannot get this solved rather quickly, this is something you are going to have to deal with and pay for -- for a very long time.

I'm sorry your breeder has abandoned you. Most do not and many will take the cat back and give you another kitten. In most cases, the owners have fallen deeply in love with the kitten and do not want to give the kitten up. Trixie should have spent at least another four weeks with the breeder and mother. What you are going through is not common at all. It does happen, but the vast majority of breeders sell healthy, socialized kittens. There must be a reason that you were gifted Trixie. Bless you, bless you.