It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:34 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Alright so I have a 7 month old bengal named Zeus and I got him when he was 4 months. The vet said that after 2 months of having him I can try taking him outside bease by then he'll know his famity I gues.. Recently I tried taking him to the the park which is an open field with pavement and benches circling it. The park is literally around the corner so I was pretty exited as I have to watch him stare out the window for sometimes hours and when I take him on the fire escape now, it doesn't seem to please his curious and adventurous soul anymore. Anyway I was able to give him a little push out of his travel bag and onto the bench so he'd feel more free to roam around. He was sniffing the bench and the surrounding area and seemed pretty happy with the people passing by petting and admiring his beautiful coat of fur. The issue though was going home. Since my house is like I said literally around the corner of a very short block from the park, I thought this would be easy, but Zeus seemed to feel the need to explore the whole planet! It was a real struggle with him tugging furiously at his leash. I reached my house after those few seconds of humility. I try to regularly practice with the leash at home and even in the building but everytime we go outside he's like a whole different kitten! Even on the fire escape I really have to tug on the leash or even go out and get him sometimes. Anyway, when we reached my apartment building he just bolted through a gate and I almost lost the leash. He was really fighting and he almost got away. I was able to get my sister who was putting her bike in at the time to go open the gate and get him. I want to know how to keep him under control when outaide. There are both cats and dogs in my neighborhood that I see strolling down the street with their owners, that don't even have a leash! I really got discouraged after that incident and haven't brought him out since. Is there a way for me to keep him next to me without a fight? Does he just need to get used to me more? Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want him to be locked up all the time especially when he looks out the window, it makes me feel guilty. Please help any advice will be appreciated. Thanks (and sorry for the length of this)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The first thing you always do is make sure he is completely comfortable walking on a leash (and the harness is properly fitted). This usually entails walking him around your house first. Many kitties are scared of the big outdoors. You should begin by walking him just around your yard and not going far. As the kitty becomes for confident and comfortable, then you can walk further. It took weeks before mine finally left our cul-de-sac. Now we walk about 8 blocks twice a day. Note that mine is not always ready to come home either, but you can only spend so much time out there with them. Today mine got a third walk because he was being such a pistol!! Walks should be a time of exploring for your kitty and bonding with you. Have patience with your baby. I suggest you forget the travel bag and let your cat walk from your home to wherever. The bag may be causing some issues. He knows it's time to go home when he's put back in the bag. And, in starting out, take him somewhere quiet -- like I said, your yard should be just fine in the beginning.

I commend you for giving him the freedom to walk on a leash.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:23 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the advice. I do practice with him on the leash at home, and that progressed to including the fire escape(which was exiting because it was snowing at the time), and that eventually included my apartment building. I only bring the travel bag just in case he becomes fussy and disobedient like in the story. However u are probably right that the travel bag causes some problems. Like it interferes with his exploration by making him think he has to go home right then. I will keep practicing though again...and again...and again... until I trust him enough to come outside without a leash like ALOT of the other pets in my neighborhood. Thanks!