[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Wanting to be washed / wetted
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 am 
Bengal Cat

Hi all, a belated Happy New Year to everyone.

Does anyone's cat plead to be washed / rubbed with a wet cloth / saturated him with wet hands?

One of my two (troublesome Augustus) pretty much begs to be bathed by us whenever someone stands at the sink for a couple of minutes washing the dishes in the kitchen / their face in the bathroom. He has a cute half-meow (an 'eeow' I suppose!) reserved for this request. He sits to attention on the floor looking up...asking politely! it is irresistible

Since we've had our two, Gus has been the less touchy-feely of the two although getting better all the time, regularly squinting back at my direct eye contact when in a non-play mood which I take to mean he trusts me / likes me now! I've given in to them sharing our sofa in the evenings when the mood takes them as it's nice to be near each other. The washing is way for us to share full-on physical contact and he does the typical cat scent rubbing motions from cheeks/whiskers/corner of mouth etc. He leans into the rubbing around neck and shoulders, arching of back in appreciation of a flank side scrub, tail curling almost all the way to his head in pleasure from a scrub at the end of the back / tail zone. Purring profusely needless to say. Following his wetting (and I mean a good 'drowned rat' type of thing) we either groom him with one of those square metal cat brushes with hundreds of closely packed metal teeth with plastic tips, or just let him wonder off to lick himself dry.

Question: we're wondering as a family how often would be too often for this? It's just clean water...should we indulge this daily? Can it do any harm?

Incidentally his brother doesn't appear as interested in getting wet. I've heard of Bengals getting in the bath so that will be our next fun challenge, maybe Max will copy his behaviour?

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Every kitty has its quirks. Many bengals love water. Mine was walked in the rain yesterday and came home soaking wet. Thankfully, I can wear rain gear. I don't know that it is a problem if your bengal gets wet. Bathing with soap is a different story as the kitty needs the oils in the pelt. But plain water should be fine as long as he enjoys it. I have a moggie who loves the rain and always comes home soaking wet. He just grooms himself to dry himself off after I've tried to get most of the dampness off with a towel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Im sure a bit of H2O can't hurt :) Also, isn't it cool that we are able to associate different (highly specific) sounds from our cats to mean different things? Funny that your cat politely asks for water lol

I fill up the bath tub with an inch of warm water every once in a while and Miko loves to "explore" in the water and bat his little yellow ducky around. But he never really gets more than his feet/toes wet- he's certainly not like some of those super water-loving bengals I've seen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My bengal tries to avoid the puddles in the street if he can, but he also has no problem walking through water. When he wants to drink out of his water bowl, he will put his front paw in the water just to make sure it's there and then lick the water off. He repeats this several times and then puts his mouth in to drink. Crazy bengal!