It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Our moth-catcher
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Finally Bella has something that keeps her raptly attentive for minutes on end: a grain moth infestation. We don't exterminate because they don't hurt anything (our grain is all sealed in containers) and we don't want to harm the cats. Bella loves leaping up at them. When Mommy (me) catches them, Bella eats them. When Bella catches them, she eats them. She isn't knocking quite as many objects off kitchen counters, bureaus and such, but she keeps her attention-attracting activities up quite well. She may be the first cat I've ever had who truly adores cream. I don't give her very much at all - maybe a tablespoon every few days. But no half and half container is safe in her presence. She chews at the cap that seals the opening. She tries to knock it over.
then I'm reduced to putting it in the fridge again till my second cup of coffee.

She and Jamie are good little buddies. Though if you can imagine it, Jamie is the dominant cat - smaller than Bella, but a feisty little Bronx alley survivor. And quite a ballerina! Yet Bella touches Jamie's nose frequently with hers. Jamie now puts up with this. Jamie is not a cat who likes physical attention except on her terms: in the TV room. In our bed, she nestles by our sides or between our ankles. Bella, however, at this moment is sleeping less than a foot away from me. My husband says she lay on his lap for a full - maybe - two minutes. A record for her. She still doesn't purr much. I figure that will come; after all, she lost her first owner seven months ago. He had her from the time she was a kitten. I know she loves me; just taking a while to demonstrate it close at hand.

Post subject: Re: Our moth-catcher
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ellen, happy to see you posting again. I don't know how harmful bugs are to cats, but Raiden loves to go after them in the yard. The flying ones, he will leap up to bat them to the ground and then eat them. YUK! Seems like Miss Bella is a happy girl.