It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So I guess the prediction that it would take a while - months? Years? for Bella to gradually become whatever she's going to become - was right. Bella and Jamie both adore Merrick's freeze-dried chicken nugget treats, which I keep in the drawer of the table next to my bed. Open the drawer, and Jamie dives into it, searching for the prize. I give them treats once or even twice a day (I can't resist their enthusiasm.) But I've been putting the treats on my body so the cats will have to get up close to my face to eat. Jamie already sleeps plonked up against my legs or between them. Last night Bella tried to wake me (as she always does when she wants feeding). But this time she did it more gently, as if she'd been learning tact! Who'd have thought it? She kissed my nose with her tongue. Then she patted my face with her paw. Then she came to rest with her back against mine, for maybe as long as ten minutes. Finally, as if testing my tolerance, she extended her claws and pricked my face, which made me pull the covers over my head. Finally she resorted to the sheet-scratching that invariably gets me up and doing what she (and Jamie) want. This usually happens at 5, 5:30 in the morning, when I feed her a whole 3-ounce can (she has not gained weight, as far as I can tell, despite the fact that she gets at least two full cans daily), and Jamie half of one. Right now she's lying an inch or two from my left hand as I type, her body partially obscuring (of course!) my view of the morning paper.

I've almost entirely abandoned getting a third - male, very affectionate - cat. Jamie and Bella are good friends now, never hissing at one another, not even batting/swatting much, and chasing each other merrily all over the apartment. They are just loads of fun to watch. They almost always make me laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ellen, I would not attempt to rock this boat! Adding a third cat could be disastrous and take Bella completely away from any affection she gives you. You obviously become "hurt" when she pulls and shies away from you. Affection from a pet is important to you. Just know that in children, some days they are more affectionate than others. It's the same way with pets, so please don't take it to heart! Bella adores you, so take the affection she gives you and be happy with it. I don't get any of that from my bengal and it doesn't bother me that much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh, I do realize she adores me! I am not going for a third cat. Sorry to give that impression.

I got her a cat stroller and have taken her around the building in it. Don’t know if she really enjoyed it, but she looked around a lot. No, we have the perfect set-up here. The two girls are good buddies, often hilarious together and both very attached to me. Jamie follows me everywhere and comes whenever I call. Super smart little munchkin! She’s every bit as smart as Bella, I think. Not nearly as complicated, however.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bella will get used to the stroller. She just needs several trips in it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I also have to add that Bella, almost completely silent when she came to me, is beginning to find her voice. It is an amusing, very soprano meow, almost like a squeak. But tonight I was in the bathroom and I heard a warmer, piteous meow at the door. When I opened the door she came in and just fixed me with her gaze. So I do know she adores me. At the same time she makes it clear - as now - when she wants to eat or wants a treat. Very peremptorily- the sheet- scratching! Jamie is a good sidekick but I’ve gone on enough for the day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengals have a million different cries. It is amazing once you get used to what cry means what!