It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:19 pm 
Bengal Cat

So Bengals and Savannahs and other hybrids are F scale/generation. I am ignorant on what all this means. I mean I know an F1 would be the breeding of the serval and a domestic for savannah. Or an Asian leopard cat for our bengals. So does anyone know if that initial breeding is sexed one way or another? Is it always a male wild cat w a female domestic or does it go both ways? Male domestic w female wild?

Further more, how does each F level go beyond? How does it progress on down the f scale?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not 100% sure what some of your questions are asking, but the initially is not sexed. It's just showing how far from the ALC your cat is.

And F1 and a cat have a litter. They are F2s. An F2 and an ALC have a litter -- they are F1s. The early gen males are often sterile.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The vast majority of breeding ALCs are male. There have been a handful of females, but most breeders prefer the male ALC gene over a female. In the beginning, the ALC was bred with a domestic cat. Jean Mill started her program with Rorschach Of Millwood, an F1 who came from a male ALC and female domestic cat. Almost all pedigrees to back to that paring. Rorschach fathered two females: Millwood Praline and Millwood Pennybank (F2's) with Finally Found Of Millwood -- a domestic cat. From there, Jean brought in an glittered Egyptian Mau, Millwood Toby / Tory of Delhi, which gave the Bengal the shimmering gold in its pelt. Unfortunately, Jean bred back the son of Praline back to Praline and thus, the inbreeding started, bringing in many of the congenital issues the bengal has today.

These days, many breeders have ALCs and are bred to later generation bengals. That starts the F1 generation all over again with that litter. The F generation always goes back to the shortest link to the ALC. My F9 has several different ALCs in his pedigree and the instances of the Centerwall ALCs back to Millwood is 1,917 for his mom and 1.965 for his father. However, for his F generation, his ALC is Kabuki Of Millwood on his mom's side which appears in his pedigree only twice. Raiden's father is an F9, his mom is an F8, making Raiden an F9.

In my research so far with about 47,000 bengals, the highest generation I have is an F13. Most all pedigrees have an "unknown" somewhere down the line, thus that generation could be incorrect. Most breeders one they hit an F12 will breed back to an F9 to get an F10.

Many bengal owners don't understand or don't care about an F generation. I find it fascinating. I work on my database every day, adding cats and finding out new information. The bengal is an amazing breed and I think we are all lucky to have one or more in our lives.