[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Genetic blood testing for Australia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:41 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello Everyone, I am a newbie here. I have a young bengal that I naively bought without papers. Is there a blood test available to see what f generation he is? I only need this so I can take him to Australia. They only allow f4 and later. The breeder has offered me fake papers but I am too scared to risk this as I don't want my baby to be deported or worse. If anyone has any knowledge or experience with this it would be hugely appreciated. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. There are a couple of things going on here. Australia banned the import of ANY bengal, regardless of the generation. When that was to take effect, I don't know and I haven't been able to find out anything. The law used to be the bengal had to be an F5 or higher.

One cannot determine an F generation from a blood test. The only way the F generation can be determined is through an official pedigree and faked papers are not the way to go. And, IF your bengal is allowed into Australia, it requires official pedigreed papers. Why can't the breeder provide official papers on this bengal? Actually, without papers, you can't prove that the cat is indeed a bengal. And should your breeder provide fake registration papers, it is quite easy for the Australian government to check with the registry to confirm the registration of the cat. If they find no actual registration, would you risk your cat being confiscated?

You are in a pickle here, especially if the ban for ANY bengal is in effect. The cat will not be permitted into the country, period! This is why it is SO important to have a registered cat with a pedigree. We recently had another member post that they were moving to another country and needed papers from the breeder.

I am really sorry you're having to go through this. Any breeder who would "fake" papers is not a good breeder, period!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Sherry, the breeder has told me that his cats don't have papers that's why he can't give me real ones. If my little guy didn't look so much like a bengal I would have just brought him in as a moggy/tabby. It's of coarse my own fault, I had known people in Australia that had bengals so it never occurred to me there would be a problem. Well the family have all agreed that we will have to live elsewhere until either the Australian government changes its policy or our little guy has died of old age.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here is the link to the info currently on the Australian government website, which still shows hybrids are allowed: http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... id-animals

I did not keep up with the backlash from cat lovers to know whether they decided NOT to enforce the new regulation to ban ALL hybrids. However, since you do not have the proper papers for your kitty, that will be the issue. Regardless of where you may want to live, there would be laws regarding hybrids. And importation requires proper registration and usually a certified pedigree to prove there are no ALCs within so many generations. There are laws for every state in the US and only in the past couple of years have states like Iowa even allowed bengals, period, regardless of generation. Savannah cats bring a whole other issue since they are a much larger breed and they are still in the early generations. Even though F4's are considered domestic cats, they all still have wild blood in them from the ALC and African Serval. I really am sorry you'r having to go through this, but a quality breeder provides papers. If this breeder has purebred bengals, there is no reason NOT to do this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:14 am 
Bengal Kitten

The law must have very recently changed bc I know of at least one australian bengal breeder who, comparitively recently imported one of their studs from the UK as a kitten and he was an f4 I believe.

There is no law against importing 'standard' domestic cats. I am unfamiliar with how the process works these days...are bloods taken to prove breed type prior to importation?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The original poster wanted to know if the F generation could be determined through a blood test and the answer is no.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:24 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I understood that. I was more thinking that if their cat still looks a little more like a domestic than bengal (like they said it did as a kitten) and they dont have papers for it, then unless they blood test to prove breed they could say it a domestic. Domestics never come with papers....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Then, I believe, you test the DNA of the cat.