It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:17 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,

I'm new to this website. I have been googling around this subject and thought I would ask on this forum.
I am begging a new bengal kitten (11 weeks old) owner in 2 days and I love with my parents 90% of the time and stay at my boyfriends house 15 min away Once or twice a week. I would like to take my bengal to my boyfriends house when I go but was wondering if it was ok for bengals to adjust to visits a few times a week. I am aware bengals tend to enjoy car rides, I'm just wondering if my bengal girl staying the night at my boyfriends with me is too much or the bengal or would she enjoy it.

My boy friend has a dog and a dog and I am aware that bengals tend to like other animals.

Would like your help

Xx bengalk7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on your new baby. You are getting a young kitten who has just been taken away from its mom and siblings and all the familiar smells and people and this baby is going to a new home with new smells and new humans. This can stress a kitten completely. That compounded with the fact you want to add another home to the mix -- my advice is this: You need to get your kitten used to your main home first -- let the baby de-stress and gain confidence. if you want to spend time at your boyfriend's home, leave the kitten with your parents and let them care for it -- at least for the first couple of months. Most cats are not great travelers (not sure where you heard bengals are) and this going back and forth constantly can allow your kitty to slip out and become lost.

I know someone who has a cat -- a regular domestic cat -- and she spends the weekends with her boyfriend and the cat stays home with plenty of food, water and a clean litter box. Now, a bengal is a little different because they need human interaction and are quite active and won't sleep the entire time you are gone.

I'm sure this is not the advice that you wanted to hear -- but you honestly cannot expect your kitten to settle in when it is not really sure where "home" is. Also ... some bengals love dogs. Some bengals do not. We've had members post that their bengal and dog do not get along. While we all go into owning a bengal is a positive experience, some simply are not. And you have no idea how your kitten will adjust to any of the scenarios you've put out on the table.

I'm not saying your baby won't enjoy traveling once a week to spend time at your boyfriend's home. You aren't going to know until you try. Your boyfriend is first going to have to come to your home so the kitten can get used to him. And I plead with you to wait on the going back and forth until your little one is completely settled into your home with your parents. And, if the little one simply is not happy traveling back and forth, you're going to have to leave your little gal at home with mom and dad.