[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - BACKYARD BREEDERS & FREE-ADS
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would find a different breeder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Brian! I lurk around but I realized I don't post much. Some day I need to post pictures of Puck, I don't think I ever got around to it.

I agree this is the best way to find a breeder. A lot of breeders don't even post ads because their litters get reserved without the need for it. My breeder just posted a new litter on her site and half the kittens were already gone (including the snows I was hoping would be in the litter).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 pm 
Senior Bengal

I'm kind of already attached to my baby and paid the deposit. But the more I read on this site the more I think maybe my Bengal did not get the best start in life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What is the name of the cattery you are getting your baby from? I'll check on them and give you my opinion. A reputable breeder won't let the kitten leave before 12 weeks. And new TICA recommendation is at 14 weeks. You want your kitten to be completely socialized and having the vaccinations it requires through that age is important, as well as the neutering or spaying. One thing you do not have to deal with. It's one thing to get attached to a kitten by actually holding it. It's another thing to select cat from a photograph.

In the end, it is your decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds like, from the other thread, this is a done deal, so in that sense, probably too late to second-guess. I can relate, as when I got my first breeder-bred cat, I went through a similar process, first checking ads etc, before I eventually understood what was out there, and the way this whole thing works. The whole pure-bred cat thing is a whole different world and very different paradigm from when I grew up where people just generally got cats when one of your friends or neighbors had an unplanned litter of kittens that they were trying to find homes for.

So you move on, and focus now on helping your soon-to-be-new-kitty to grow up to be as happy and health as possible, and next time you'll know how to go about this in a much better fashion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm 
Bengal Cat

I'm new to this as well and went about finding a Bengal kitten in a similar way. I did try to weed out the less reputable breeders but also stumbled across many scammers. It was amazing that on at least 2 occasions a site had photos and looked legit, and when i inquired the response was "we'll ship the kitten to you". When I suggested that I visit to pick up the kitten, there were excuses and i eventually called them out.

I found a breeder that I'm fairly certain is legit, but the experience has left me feeling cautious. I paid a $300 deposit in mid-December based on a picture. The breeder I'm working with is listed on TICA and even had a show winner. The kitten was born October 20 and is getting fixed on January 18th. I'm picking him up on January 25th. All shots, chip, etc.

So it all seems legit, but I'm still a bit uneasy because unfortunately scammers are very good these days. The breeder is a few hours from where I live so I haven't actually been to the location. Until I pick up the kitten and see that it is what I expected and everything goes well, I'll be a little on edge.

Last week i tried emailing/calling a few times over a 4 day period to ask a question and got no response. Finally I called from another phone they picked up on the first ring. I haven't been a constant nuisance since the last communication was mid-December when I left the deposit. Probably a coincidence or they were just busy, but given what's out there I got suspicious. Anyway, i'll know in 2 weeks and hope all goes well.

Maybe I'm just a worry wart. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Vincent, a breeder who will not respond within four days says something about the breeder. However, a lot of breeders prefer to correspond via email and there are some who say, "please call us with questions" and give their phone number. A great breeder will understand that a first-time bengal kitten owner will have questions and doubts and they need to be there for you, not only before you pick up your kitten but after when you realize there are questions you forgot to ask.

Any breeder can be a member of TICA. Just give them the money. Many do not even follow the recommendations of number of litters per year and some even let their kittens go early. I have three litters in my database that were born October 20, 2018. Capstone, Hemera and San Jose Bengals. Probably not the cattery you are dealing with.

The good thing is your baby will be fixed before you get him. The fact that you will get to see the cattery is a plus. Most backyard breeders "meet" you somewhere to hand off the cat. The one thing you need to do is take your kitten to a vet within a few days after getting him. That way, he can have a full check up and start medical history. Your breeder should provide you with the records up until the time you take him.

Make sure you continue feeding the kitten the food the breeder uses. If they feed raw or something special, please ask to buy some food from the breeder (some provide a small supply included in the price). Also use the same litter and type of litter box the breeder has been using. Your little one will be stressed enough at leaving mom and siblings and the only smells they have ever known. Patience is the key when getting a bengal kitten. Keep him in a safe room for a few days to acclimate, especially if you have a larger home as it can be overwhelming for a new kitten who wants to investigate and is also scared.

Hang in there -- if you get no response from your breeder, feel free to post here and we will try to help you out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks Sherry - I did hear from the breeder and they seem fine. Like I said, I'm just a worrier. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sure everything will be fine once you get to hold your new "baby" and meet the breeder. Some breeders may have three or more litters going at one time, plus they are trying to run a household, too. You are not the only one out there asking questions of him/her. Patience is going to be the key when you get your baby, so you might want to begin that process now. :biggrin: :biggrin: You don't have long to wait until you get your boy.

Do ask your breeder if they register the chip in their name or if you can register it. So many new pet owners fail to register the microchip and I do know a breeder who retains the registration of the chip in case the cat ever gets out -- the breeder is contacted and not the owner. Most contracts state the cat is not allowed outdoors without supervision.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:18 pm 
Senior Bengal

I don't mean that I looked for a kitten by checking ads. I mean that the first thing that popped up when I tried to search for reputable breeders in my area was a lot of scams and ads, and fake websites where you paypal them money for a kitten that they will supposedly deliver to you that day. I did not use any of those.
Am I allowed to say the breeder? I thought I saw something in the rules about not naming them

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good catch on the rules, however we have discussed breeders on the forum. Some members ask for recommendations in a particular area. I've posted names of breeders, without actually recommending any of them. It is important for a buyer to research the breeders, contact them with questions, visit them in person if possible. If they claim to be a member of a cat organization, double check to make sure. Any one can put a logo on their website. Most good breeders have a website. Many are only using Facebook these days. But, searching on the internet and reading reviews, positive or otherwise, is important.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:51 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 pm 
Senior Bengal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8