It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Litter box habits?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:32 pm 
Bengal Cat

I do love Trixie and even if I didn't it is not like I would ever want another kitten from that breeder anyway. We did a full month of metronidazole with no change so we are off it now.
This is what I found when searching the test they are doing

Once the PCR process begins, a specific process called amplification begins.
1.Denaturation, the DNA heats to 194 degrees F to separate the DNA into two strands.
2.Annealing, a pcr test is specific to the disease it is looking for. Therefore, each disease or parasite has a primer that binds to the DNA strands. Then the DNA cools to about half the temperature it was in Step 1. When step 2 is complete the lab has two separate strands of DNA. Then, the sequences marked by primers and ready to begin again.
3.The extension begins again. The temperature rises again. This time to 161.5 F. Starting where the primers marked DNA Polymerase (enzymes that produce copies) is added. After the completion of ‘extension,’ there are two identical copies of the original DNA.
4.The cycle starts over. Each time doubling the exact copies of the original DNA. After thirty to forty cycles more than one billion copies of the original DNA have been made.

The entire process is automated and completes very quickly.

PCR amplification is only part of the identifying test, however. Once the amplification completes, the amplified segments are compared to other nucleotide segments from a known source (for example, dna from giardia).

There is Feline PCR test available for the following diseases and parasites at labs in the United States and Europe.
•Bordatella
•Calici Virus
•Campylobacter
•Chlamydia
•Clostridium
•Coccidia
•Cryptosporidium
•E. Coli
•Feline Corona Virus
•Immunodeficiency Virus
•Feline Infectious Peritonitis
•Feline Leukemia Virus
•Giardia
•Herpes virus
•Mycoplasma
•Panleukopenia
•Salmonella
•Toxoplasma
•Tritrichomonas

The benefits of a PCR test includes a lower chance of false negative results and early detection of infections. In addition, PCR tests are highly sensitive since they differentiate pathogen strains that appear similar.

Please ask your breeder for proof of PCR testing, it is important to know the health of your kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

WOW, a lot goes into that testing. I'm not really sure where we are going to go next for Raiden. His B12 level was 298 and the normal range is 290 to 1500. We'll find out today if we need supplement him and whether to increase the dosage of the Metronidazole or try something else. It is really frustrating for all of us, including our babies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 pm 
Bengal Cat

I guess that is why they want to do this first before an ultrasound, it might find an infection or parasite that hopefully is curable. But the waiting really sucks and I wish they would have done this test last month. I am going to be devastated if it is some incurable illness.
Good luck with Raiden it sounds like you have been through a lot too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, Raiden has an incurable disease. Inflammatory Bowel Disease cannot be cured. The issue only started early last year -- and maybe once we get all the medication dosages right, he will be better. It's not easy to deal with -- and certainly not fun for the kitty. We can only do what we can do and hope the veterinarians have suggestions that will work. As you know, finding what works takes a while.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm 
Bengal Cat

Sorry I meant one of those deadly viruses/diseases for which there is no treatment