It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:04 am
Posts: 787
Location: Colorado, USA
I would find a different breeder.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 4462
Location: Portland Oregon, USA
7Deadly$ins wrote:
I would find a different breeder.


Hey, long time no see, welcome back!

I agree. I think probably the best way to go about this is sort of top-down, rather than bottom up. By this I mean, instead of looking for ads for available kittens, and trying to determine to what extent they are legit, or what their angle is, instead try finding a legit breeder (ask for recommendations, attend local cat shows, get lists for TICA or whatever organization, or just google for breeders) and look deeply into all their policies and experience etc. Then once you've identified some legit breeders, see what they have in the way of kittens, and potentially get on a waiting list if they don't have any currently available. By looking at ads, you are basically scraping the bottom of the barrel.

_________________
The little monsters 3
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:45 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:04 am
Posts: 787
Location: Colorado, USA
Thanks Brian! I lurk around but I realized I don't post much. Some day I need to post pictures of Puck, I don't think I ever got around to it.

I agree this is the best way to find a breeder. A lot of breeders don't even post ads because their litters get reserved without the need for it. My breeder just posted a new litter on her site and half the kittens were already gone (including the snows I was hoping would be in the litter).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 pm 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 pm
Posts: 48
I'm kind of already attached to my baby and paid the deposit. But the more I read on this site the more I think maybe my Bengal did not get the best start in life


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 4462
Location: Portland Oregon, USA
7Deadly$ins wrote:
Thanks Brian! I lurk around but I realized I don't post much. Some day I need to post pictures of Puck, I don't think I ever got around to it.

I agree this is the best way to find a breeder. A lot of breeders don't even post ads because their litters get reserved without the need for it. My breeder just posted a new litter on her site and half the kittens were already gone (including the snows I was hoping would be in the litter).


Puck?? That's a new one on me. Ok, lets see the pics!

_________________
The little monsters 3
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:26 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 9119
What is the name of the cattery you are getting your baby from? I'll check on them and give you my opinion. A reputable breeder won't let the kitten leave before 12 weeks. And new TICA recommendation is at 14 weeks. You want your kitten to be completely socialized and having the vaccinations it requires through that age is important, as well as the neutering or spaying. One thing you do not have to deal with. It's one thing to get attached to a kitten by actually holding it. It's another thing to select cat from a photograph.

In the end, it is your decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 4462
Location: Portland Oregon, USA
It sounds like, from the other thread, this is a done deal, so in that sense, probably too late to second-guess. I can relate, as when I got my first breeder-bred cat, I went through a similar process, first checking ads etc, before I eventually understood what was out there, and the way this whole thing works. The whole pure-bred cat thing is a whole different world and very different paradigm from when I grew up where people just generally got cats when one of your friends or neighbors had an unplanned litter of kittens that they were trying to find homes for.

So you move on, and focus now on helping your soon-to-be-new-kitty to grow up to be as happy and health as possible, and next time you'll know how to go about this in a much better fashion.

_________________
The little monsters 3
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:43 am
Posts: 24
I'm new to this as well and went about finding a Bengal kitten in a similar way. I did try to weed out the less reputable breeders but also stumbled across many scammers. It was amazing that on at least 2 occasions a site had photos and looked legit, and when i inquired the response was "we'll ship the kitten to you". When I suggested that I visit to pick up the kitten, there were excuses and i eventually called them out.

I found a breeder that I'm fairly certain is legit, but the experience has left me feeling cautious. I paid a $300 deposit in mid-December based on a picture. The breeder I'm working with is listed on TICA and even had a show winner. The kitten was born October 20 and is getting fixed on January 18th. I'm picking him up on January 25th. All shots, chip, etc.

So it all seems legit, but I'm still a bit uneasy because unfortunately scammers are very good these days. The breeder is a few hours from where I live so I haven't actually been to the location. Until I pick up the kitten and see that it is what I expected and everything goes well, I'll be a little on edge.

Last week i tried emailing/calling a few times over a 4 day period to ask a question and got no response. Finally I called from another phone they picked up on the first ring. I haven't been a constant nuisance since the last communication was mid-December when I left the deposit. Probably a coincidence or they were just busy, but given what's out there I got suspicious. Anyway, i'll know in 2 weeks and hope all goes well.

Maybe I'm just a worry wart. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:27 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 9119
Vincent, a breeder who will not respond within four days says something about the breeder. However, a lot of breeders prefer to correspond via email and there are some who say, "please call us with questions" and give their phone number. A great breeder will understand that a first-time bengal kitten owner will have questions and doubts and they need to be there for you, not only before you pick up your kitten but after when you realize there are questions you forgot to ask.

Any breeder can be a member of TICA. Just give them the money. Many do not even follow the recommendations of number of litters per year and some even let their kittens go early. I have three litters in my database that were born October 20, 2018. Capstone, Hemera and San Jose Bengals. Probably not the cattery you are dealing with.

The good thing is your baby will be fixed before you get him. The fact that you will get to see the cattery is a plus. Most backyard breeders "meet" you somewhere to hand off the cat. The one thing you need to do is take your kitten to a vet within a few days after getting him. That way, he can have a full check up and start medical history. Your breeder should provide you with the records up until the time you take him.

Make sure you continue feeding the kitten the food the breeder uses. If they feed raw or something special, please ask to buy some food from the breeder (some provide a small supply included in the price). Also use the same litter and type of litter box the breeder has been using. Your little one will be stressed enough at leaving mom and siblings and the only smells they have ever known. Patience is the key when getting a bengal kitten. Keep him in a safe room for a few days to acclimate, especially if you have a larger home as it can be overwhelming for a new kitten who wants to investigate and is also scared.

Hang in there -- if you get no response from your breeder, feel free to post here and we will try to help you out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:43 am
Posts: 24
Thanks Sherry - I did hear from the breeder and they seem fine. Like I said, I'm just a worrier. :rolleyes:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 9119
I'm sure everything will be fine once you get to hold your new "baby" and meet the breeder. Some breeders may have three or more litters going at one time, plus they are trying to run a household, too. You are not the only one out there asking questions of him/her. Patience is going to be the key when you get your baby, so you might want to begin that process now. :biggrin: :biggrin: You don't have long to wait until you get your boy.

Do ask your breeder if they register the chip in their name or if you can register it. So many new pet owners fail to register the microchip and I do know a breeder who retains the registration of the chip in case the cat ever gets out -- the breeder is contacted and not the owner. Most contracts state the cat is not allowed outdoors without supervision.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:18 pm 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 pm
Posts: 48
I don't mean that I looked for a kitten by checking ads. I mean that the first thing that popped up when I tried to search for reputable breeders in my area was a lot of scams and ads, and fake websites where you paypal them money for a kitten that they will supposedly deliver to you that day. I did not use any of those.
Am I allowed to say the breeder? I thought I saw something in the rules about not naming them


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:47 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 9119
Good catch on the rules, however we have discussed breeders on the forum. Some members ask for recommendations in a particular area. I've posted names of breeders, without actually recommending any of them. It is important for a buyer to research the breeders, contact them with questions, visit them in person if possible. If they claim to be a member of a cat organization, double check to make sure. Any one can put a logo on their website. Most good breeders have a website. Many are only using Facebook these days. But, searching on the internet and reading reviews, positive or otherwise, is important.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:51 pm 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 pm
Posts: 48
Sherry wrote:
Good catch on the rules, however we have discussed breeders on the forum. Some members ask for recommendations in a particular area. I've posted names of breeders, without actually recommending any of them. It is important for a buyer to research the breeders, contact them with questions, visit them in person if possible. If they claim to be a member of a cat organization, double check to make sure. Any one can put a logo on their website. Most good breeders have a website. Many are only using Facebook these days. But, searching on the internet and reading reviews, positive or otherwise, is important.


Understood.
I don't think I would recommend the breeder we used, since our baby was sold to us underweight at 10 weeks and was sick as soon as I got her home. She did have her first vaccinations but done by the breeder not by a vet. She also called me and said she discovered the worm meds she gave her were expired so they may or may not have worked, and also later told me after we had been to the emergency vet that she had diarrhea before and was on amoxicillin and probiotics and a special prescription diet and then she was "fine"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 pm 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 pm
Posts: 48
KrazyCatLady wrote:
Sherry wrote:
Good catch on the rules, however we have discussed breeders on the forum. Some members ask for recommendations in a particular area. I've posted names of breeders, without actually recommending any of them. It is important for a buyer to research the breeders, contact them with questions, visit them in person if possible. If they claim to be a member of a cat organization, double check to make sure. Any one can put a logo on their website. Most good breeders have a website. Many are only using Facebook these days. But, searching on the internet and reading reviews, positive or otherwise, is important.


Understood.
I don't think I would recommend the breeder we used, since our baby was sold to us underweight at 10 weeks and was sick as soon as I got her home. She did have her first vaccinations but done by the breeder not by a vet. She also called me and said she discovered the worm meds she gave her were expired so they may or may not have worked, and also later told me after we had been to the emergency vet that she had diarrhea before and was on amoxicillin and probiotics and a special prescription diet and then she was "fine"


Also the mother of my kitten is already pregnant again. she already had babies in June, and then my baby was born in November and she is already due to give birth again this month


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey