It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 am 
Senior Bengal

How did you all who have grown up dogs introduce your kittens safely?

We have a staffordshire bull terrier and even known he is harmless and loving he is very playful and he plays rough. He grew up with a cat who he was introduced to him as a puppy and she was kitten and they play very rough together to the point he drags her around the living room by the scruff of the neck. I don't want him doing this to a kitten he doesn't really know and am hoping he will be gentle and not see it as a play thing.

Any ideas are welcome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, how is Amara doing? Is she still with your mom? Introducing pets -- can be iffy. The main thing is to have someone else there. My advice: The dog needs to be leashed and the cat held by the other person. Let them sniff each other. Do not put the cat down in front of the dog. The cat will probably growl and hiss and the claws come out. See how the dog reacts to the kitten. Hopefully, you are keeping the kitten in a safe room for several days. I would just do this "introduction" several times and get a feel for what might happen if they are both on the floor together. By that time, they should be familiar with each other's smell. As long as your dog is under your control (leashed), you could then see how they react being placed in the same room together. You can also try feeding them in the same general area and supervise. Know that most dogs and cats get along just fine. Until you are confident that is the case, never leave them alone unsupervised.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Sherry
I decided to leave Amara with my Mum as she was content with her but she kept trying to get out and in the end my Mam started letting her out. Luckily I got her spayed after her accidental litter of kittens in 2016 but after a few weeks of going out she went missing. An hour here and there turned into being out all day and then she didn't come home. I spent weeks helping my Mam look for her locally etc and we used facebook etc to make people aware but literally no sign of her at all. Personally I think someone local saw her and took her in (atleast that is what am hoping as I hate the idea of her being out in the cold) She is chipped, so there is always hope that one day I will get a phone call or a letter.

As for her kittens sadly not all of them had a happy ending either. Two of her son's (the two most bengal looking ones) died within weeks of one another on the same road. They were owned by my brother and my sister. The one my sister had also got stolen more than once by a lady who lived locally prior to him getting run over. Her third son happily lives with one of my best friend's and is neatured. I often see him when I visit her. One of her daughters is also spayed and is living with my sister's oldest friend and is spoilt rotten and has really helped her friend with her depression. Another daughter is a house cat at my mam's (after loosing Amara she stopped letting her daughter out) and my brother owns another daughter who had a litter of her own and it is one of those kittens that am getting.

So a full turn around of events if am honest. Thank-you for the advice and I will try and upload photos of the two kittens am struggling to choose between

Last edited by SlaveOfAmara on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:18 pm 
Senior Bengal

Struggling to choose between these two
The Black female I nicknamed Kamira and the Tabby boy I nicknamed Simba

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What adorable kittens. It would be very difficult for me to choose. I am so sorry to hear about Amara and her kittens. That's the risk you take when you let cats outside. It is not the best thing for them, period. The hard part with Amara is not knowing if she is okay or not. The neighbor's cat that I've been taking care of now for 2-1/2 years is finally allowed inside our house and he loves it, but he was a complete outdoor cat before, so he still insists on going outside. We live in a quiet dead-end part of our subdivision, but there are still cars and he loves to roll around in the middle of the road. I fear for him every day when he is out. Now that our temps are dipping into the single-digits at night, I worry about frostbite. He has a heated cat house that he will use, but he roams the neighborhood for about 2 hours before he returns. If I see him on the surveillance cameras, I let him in the house. He has gotten locked in garages and crawl spaces -- and when he goes missing, I am a total mess and spend days looking for him. I do not want to lose a pet. And these babies need better protection from their owners.

Who is to say one of these gorgeous babies won't cry and bed to go outside and end up with the same fate? I made a decision when I was given Raiden that he would not be allowed to roam free and he is only out on a harness and leash (this morning, our walk was in 23 degree temps, but we've been out in 16 degrees). He now rarely uses his enclosure due to the cold even though there is a heated bed out there. It faces north and the wind is horrible.

Since you've been through these losses with your mom and family, I honestly hope that you won't get any kitty that you won't keep safely inside or on a leash. Yes, mine yowls at the top of his lungs. Keeps me awake at night -- but it's for his own good.