It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

OMG, that just sounds terrifying and awful! :shock: :(

Just last night a stupid roach decided to stroll along my kitchen floor and I just about lost it. It caught me by surprise and I'm absolutely terrified of roaches, so I don't even know how many times I must have cursed at the thing.. lol. Thank goodness for having a can of bug spray in every area of the house (I am paranoid). Then OH got mad at me for dousing it in a puddle.. he always says I overdo it but he just doesn't understand! :( Thankfully we don't get bugs in the house often, but when we do it's like war, lol.

Still a beautiful place you have there, but when there's bugs like that NOTHING is going to get me to go out there... lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
I rarely get bit. But when do do its awful. About half a bee sting pain wise. Its the fear of getting bit and the harassment that are the worst. I end up slapping myself constantly too :) There a type of horse fly but very small. But they never give up chasing it truly can drive you mad :evil:

I've never been stung by any type of bee or wasp. They like me too much. >:] My mother is highly allergic to their stings, though. I guess I hope I'm not, because there's only one way I'd find out. :lol: Talking of hymenopterids, the eastern cicada killers around here love to make their burrows underneath our swimming pool. I think they're adorable, and my mother is terrified of them, even though I told her they don't sting. I'm not as clever as you are with the insect identifications, though. I'm guess I'm okay at birds. XD

echoplexia wrote:
OMG, that just sounds terrifying and awful! :shock: :(

Just last night a stupid roach decided to stroll along my kitchen floor and I just about lost it. It caught me by surprise and I'm absolutely terrified of roaches, so I don't even know how many times I must have cursed at the thing.. lol. Thank goodness for having a can of bug spray in every area of the house (I am paranoid). Then OH got mad at me for dousing it in a puddle.. he always says I overdo it but he just doesn't understand! :( Thankfully we don't get bugs in the house often, but when we do it's like war, lol.

Still a beautiful place you have there, but when there's bugs like that NOTHING is going to get me to go out there... lol.

I make friends with bugs in my house. >___> I always casually observe any spiders I may see, but unless they're in a sequestered area, I usually put them outside because I'm afraid my mother will spot them first. I can't kill. I like setting them free. Of course, I do understand killing for health/safety reasons and such, I just can't do it. I sympathise too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PhelanVelvel wrote:
I make friends with bugs in my house. >___> I always casually observe any spiders I may see, but unless they're in a sequestered area, I usually put them outside because I'm afraid my mother will spot them first. I can't kill. I like setting them free. Of course, I do understand killing for health/safety reasons and such, I just can't do it. I sympathise too much.

Ohh man, well you are welcome to come over here and make friends with as many bugs as you like, as long as you take them with you! Far, far away. lol. Sorry I really am just deathly afraid of them, I don't know what it is, just always have been... There have been many times where I was surprised by a roach and ended up crying from it. Yeah that's embarrassing, but I really can't handle bugs. :( I'm even afraid to let my cats get near them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've been breeding roaches for a good 15yr for pet food. I have 3 different species none of which can reproduce if they escape just like in Jurassic Park. If I throw in a potato it takes an hour before its just the skin.

louise posted some nice outdoor pics today of Eric viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16011 . There was an enormous amazing tree in it. I remember seeing a neat tree while riding the ATV. So I took Pouncey there for a walk and some pics. I also added more pics of our walk to the DB folder in OP.
Pouncey also found a Beaver den and went in for a look :roll:
This is from before but he heard a sound that startled him.

Last edited by viperkeeper on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Whoa. That tree is amazing. :shock: I love climbing trees, but I don't think I'd be able to manage that one, probably no way to get into it besides having claws!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sure you could the one huge branch is like a ramp you could walk right up. The tree is really strange there's nothing even remotely close to its size anywhere around its like a mutant or something. On the way back I saw a old cemetery I was thinking of getting some pics of him on old tombstones. Is that wrong? If not day or night pics?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
I'm sure you could the one huge branch is like a ramp you could walk right up. The tree is really strange there's nothing even remotely close to its size anywhere around its like a mutant or something. On the way back I saw a old cemetery I was thinking of getting some pics of him on old tombstones. Is that wrong? If not day or night pics?

XD No, it's not wrong, I think that'd make a cool picture. I'd like to see either, but night could be cool, makes it look more creepy and Halloween-ish. :o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:51 am 
Senior Bengal

That tree is pretty cool too :) I love the arch bit!
Trees like this can be a bit creepy, especially in the dark! I've always thought they are more magical though, with fairies, like in Ferngully or even the one in Pocohontas? I hope a wise old owl lives in it 8)
Trees of that age and size have seen so much, it fascinates me.
Beaver dam, that's awesome! Pouncey looks like he's enjoying himself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He's actually going in the den where the live. Normally those holes would be underwater but its very dry out right now. I'm not sure if it was abandoned but you could see the dirt was lose from something digging inside. There was another bigger den surrounded by water close by so maybe they were moving or its just their summer home.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are some stunning pictures...

And it is lovely for him to be outdoors as i know how much they love it and they seem to look much better in the outside sunlight/natural light.

It does concern me that he climbs trees and stuff wearing his collar. I know why you have it on but i don't think it is a 'quick release' one so could easily get stuck on a branch or something. I have heard of so many horror stories of cats getting stuck by their collars inside the home and outside :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

lollo2304 wrote:

And it is lovely for him to be outdoors as i know how much they love it and they seem to look much better in the outside sunlight/natural light.

Thanks for the compliment we have a great time hiking and enjoying the great outdoors. I also enjoy sharing and reading everyone's replies. ( He's handsome in any light BTW :wink:)

No its not a breakaway actually its worse, its a thick leather dog collar I modified to fit the cat. I'm a risk taker and adrenaline junky. I put little value on my own life, actually I worry more about Pounceys well-being than my own. I'd rather be dead than live without my boy. So I'm worried about it too, but I'm there with him and the benefit outways the risks IMO.
I was hoping for some suggestions on how too attach the homing tag in my thread http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/v ... =3&t=15411 . That was the first time I was made aware of the danger of collars. Every cat where I live has a collar because its required by law. That was my first thread not just here but any forum. I admit my approach was wrong and I sounded like a jerk but I was just trying to help out. But nobody helped me, just criticized the collar idea and it overshadowed any benefits of the homing tag IMO :( I think people are warming up to me now that I posted pictures as they can "see" the benefits.

I didn't give up. I'm working on a alternative to the collar. No it won't be full proof and the best I can expect from the haters is "its better but....". I'll post a thread when its ready but in the meantime I'm still open to suggestion.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
lollo2304 wrote:

Thanks for the compliment we have a great time hiking and enjoying the great outdoors. I also enjoy sharing and reading everyone's replies. ( He's handsome in any light BTW :wink:)

No its not a breakaway actually its worse, its a thick leather dog collar I modified to fit the cat. I'm a risk taker and adrenaline junky. I put little value on my own life, actually I worry more about Pounceys well-being than my own. I'd rather be dead than live without my boy. So I'm worried about it too, but I'm there with him and the benefit outways the risks IMO.
I was hoping for some suggestions on how too attach the homing tag in my thread http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/v ... =3&t=15411 . That was the first time I was made aware of the danger of collars. Every cat where I live has a collar because its required by law. That was my first thread not just here but any forum. I admit my approach was wrong and I sounded like a jerk but I was just trying to help out. But nobody helped me, just criticized the collar idea and it overshadowed any benefits of the homing tag IMO :( I think people are warming up to me now that I posted pictures as they can "see" the benefits.

I didn't give up. I'm working on a alternative to the collar. No it won't be full proof and the best I can expect from the haters is "its better but....". I'll post a thread when its ready but in the meantime I'm still open to suggestion.

Thanks

Fandral also needs a collar, for obvious reasons. We don't have an actual homing tag, but the jingling of his nametag is very distinct to me, and in that way I always know where he is. Even at night, when I can't see him, I hear his nametag and I always know the general area he's in, even if he stops moving. Even though he's never unsupervised, I like that he has a collar because it says he belongs to someone and our phone number is on the back of the nametag. As long as the collar is on he won't be mistaken for a stray. The collar I got was from http://designacollar.com/home. They're so beautiful. They designed a collar exactly to my request and I couldn't be happier with the design. And it was only around $22. Now, I know. Leather collars are dangerous because they can't break away. The person who makes them put a bit of elastic cord between the band and the buckle to allow it to stretch, and theoretically allow the collar to slip over the cat's head, but I wasn't convinced it would work if Fandral ever got stuck. (It did give me the idea, however.)

So I replaced the elastic with an orthodontic elastic. (The tiny little rubber band used in braces.) I cut the rubber band and tied the buckle to the collar with it, where the stronger elastic the collar came with used to be. I tested it. It can stretch to a reasonable degree, it won't break just sitting there on his neck, or if I gently stretch it. It won't fall off. But one quick tug and it snaps, freeing the collar completely. Now, if his collar ever got stuck on anything, he would very easily snap it free. But his collar has never caught on anything before, and I don't expect it to. If it did, nine times out of ten I'll be by his side. It's merely a safeguard if it were to ever get stuck when I'm out of range. I don't see how anyone could call it a dangerous collar at this point. There is no mechanism that has to work for him to free himself. I love Fandral and I've already broken a few of these elastics (after they're tied on the collar) making positively sure that they're feeble enough to break when they need to. I agonised over what could happen if it caught on something when the stronger elastic was on there, trying to think of something better. This is the best I can do. He needs a collar, and if it ever did get stuck and I wasn't there to free him, I'm confident he's stronger than a wimpy rubber band. (The wimpiest I could find!)

I have some abysmal quality pictures taken from my phone to show you what I mean, since I would probably have no idea what I was talking about if I was reading it from your guys' points of view. >__<

^See? Looks perfectly normal. :o

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Phelan, I actually think your modification is very clever! I know exactly what type of rubber bands you're referring to, and I remember how easy they were to break. Definitely wouldn't even need the full weight of the cat to break one. I think it's great that you're always with him when outside anyway, but having a collar that's secure yet easily breakable (unlike some of the "break away" collars I've seen that aren't always so reliable) just makes it even better. Good work! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

echoplexia wrote:
Phelan, I actually think your modification is very clever! I know exactly what type of rubber bands you're referring to, and I remember how easy they were to break. Definitely wouldn't even need the full weight of the cat to break one. I think it's great that you're always with him when outside anyway, but having a collar that's secure yet easily breakable (unlike some of the "break away" collars I've seen that aren't always so reliable) just makes it even better. Good work! :)

Thank you! :3 Maybe it will give people some hope for collars? I think a collar can be a great thing, (and cute :oops:), but I was definitely anxious every time I thought of him struggling to get the collar off if he ever got stuck. *shivers* >__< But I didn't want him out there without any visible identification, either. D: I honestly don't think there is much of a chance it will get stuck, if I had to place a theoretical bet, but better safe than sorry. It's kind of a ghetto solution, but I say oh well. I'm glad I can have his collar and also not worry about him dying. >__> You probably can't see it too well in any of the pictures I've posted, but you know the symbol on the Night Elf druid cat form's shoulder? I had them put that on the collar as well. :o

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Humm I see. What about replacing the metal pin that goes through the belt holes with something like a toothpick. I'm guessing the fur never got tangled in the band right? Your idea is good because you can use any collar you want. I wasn't thinking of a one time use replaceable part. I don't like the elastic because it wears out eventually. But now we're thinking. What I was working on would just limit the possibility of choking but probably increase the likelihood of getting caught up. Its also something anyone could order as I'm getting it made. You'd never lose a break-away collar again with the tag :wink: I have some very strong neodymium magnets I pulled from laser optic drives. I build high power lasers as a hobby :P

If you take the pics further away you can just zoom in :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next