It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Identifying kitten
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone,

We are currently caring for a kitten who is unlike any other cat or kitten we have ever encountered. She has a massive personality, no fear (except for her own reflection), LOVES water and dogs, and when she is not being completely spaz, needs to be in as much contact with your body as possible. She has very long features - head, neck, body, legs, and loves to talk and protest loudly. She jumps very high and does partial flips in the air. Her tongue is extremely sharp (feels like shards of glass) and her coat is short and silky smooth. She sucks on ear lobes (at which point the boundary setting kicks in lol) and has very high expectations for comfort, including needing a pillow of some sort when she sleeps at night (I swear) - arms, actual pillows, anything will do. She wakes us up in the mornings not for food but to gain better access to our bodies for snuggling. Her favourite way to sleep is on her back, squished under you as far as she can get herself. We've never seen a personality or physical features like hers before. At first we were thinking Siamese mix, but the more we learn about Bengals, the more we wonder if that is the breed we are seeing in her. We love her just the same regardless of breed, but we're curious. Any thoughts?

Pictures to follow!

Post subject: Re: Identifying kitten
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Pics! Some may be sideways - not sure how to adjust that!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a beautiful little girl. She looks like she could be a Bengal/Maine Coone mix to me. The tufts on her ears shout Maine Coone and her whisker pads and eye/cheek markings and her spots definitely look Bengal to me.
Either way she sounds adorable. Congratulations on having such a delightful cat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:43 am 
Senior Bengal

What a pretty coat and she looks super-cute. I think she could be a bengal mix. I love her ear-tufts. Ear-tufts are not really a bengal thing though.

Instagram: @snow_bengal_brothers #snow_bengal_brothers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Her physical characteristics (to me) are very bengal like. The "rosetting" is not clear, however, I swear I can see glitter in the first picture, which is a bengal trait. You will never know if this beautiful baby is a bengal, but she is super adorable and I know you love her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you so much for your insight everyone! It's interesting to hear what you have to say, as I know that you know bengals! We love her regardless of breed, but the possibility of having some Bengal in there certainly would make a lot of what we are seeing with her make sense. The ear tufts have always been curious to us as well, they're quite endearing :) And Tracy, I think you might be right about the glitter - it's something I noticed too. She glistens when the light hits her. I've never encountered a Bengal before so I don't have anything to compare to, but her coat is very, very shiny.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A bengal's pelt feels like silk. Totally different from a regular kitty. Maine Coons have very long fur, and I honestly don't see any Maine Coon in this beauty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:38 am 
Bengal Kitten

Sherry - thank you, and I'm sorry for the mix up with your name and Tracey's in my reply! I was typing too quickly.

Yes, that describes her fur well. It's quite different from our other cat, who has a typical DSH coat. Hers is very short, maybe a third of the length his is, feels like silk, and rests close against her body. Here are a couple more pics...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Based on the pictures, I believe there is at least some bengal in this beauty. The silky pelt is always a good sign. Not to mention the glitter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:05 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you again so much for your insight! It's really interesting to hear these opinions, especially because I know you know bengals! She's so different from any cat I've encountered before, both in appearance and personality, and working with her through a Bengal lens really makes things click. How much Bengal is there (if any) we'll never know for sure, but learning more about the breed has certainly been helpful in understanding her better and beginning to expect the behaviours we are seeing from her. Never a dull moment with this one! lol she was literally in the toilet the other day. :eek:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Enjoy the adventures she will bring to your life! Bengals are definitely not your ordinary cat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Long legs, big paws, solid build, rosettes on stomach all point to Bengal mix to me as well.

She's beautiful! Get her a big pet fountain so she can enjoy the water.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you! This week she's started to settle in more and is beginning to attach to us - I now have a very persistent shadow :biggrin:

And great idea about the fountain! I don't think we'd be able to distract her from it lol, she'd love it!

Thanks again for all of the feedback everyone!