[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - NYADA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NYADA
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:47 am 
Bengal Kitten

Our 10+ yr cat passed several month ago. My 9-yr old son wanted a new cat. I did some research and decided on a Bengal for several reasons, less shedding/allergenic, smart, etc. My son is into Yo-kai Watch and apparently there is a kitty character Master Nyada. Seems appropriate seeing how the cat is half Asian.

I read a lot and there is a lot about how these cats are super special and they are not like other cats and harder to have as a pet. My experience is this cat IS super special, but not so different, or maybe the better word is "harder" to raise from other kittens. In fact, I think he is easier in some ways. I do realize that I have not seem him as a full grown cat, so my opinion may change... we'll see. When we got home I put his crate in a room and waited for him to come out. I read it might take a day before he is comfortable to venture out. He was in the room less than a minute. He darted out ready to play. He likes to be held, I think its because the breeder had a big family that handled him a lot when he was a kitten. When he's ready to play he's constantly trying to get away, but he's nice about it. He meows a lot, but not in the middle of the night like our last cat when he was a kitten. I am already learning his communication meows which is pretty neat. He certainly seems to learn quick. He knows what "no" means and pushes the limit to see how firm you are. Like my other pets, I make a rule, am stern about it, and don't waiver and they get in line. He has interesting tendencies, like he washes his paws after going into the litter box. We had to put out a second water dish, one for drinking and one for cleaning. He is definitely fearless. I tried to upload a video of him playing with the dog for the first time (no luck). The first time Nyada saw the dog he hissed and was a little excited. The next time he was better, after a couple of days he seemed interested. He was not timid in his introduction. We have a bigger dog (an older retriever) and the first time we let him approach the bigger dog he went into full attack mode. My dog just looked at him like, "what the heck are you doing?!?" and after a minute of not leaving him alone I could tell he was not into playing, so then I let our little dog (about 2-yrs old) and he seemed to enjoy watching Nyada's acrobatics. Anyways, I hope you can see the video. https://youtu.be/P31K2DSddL4

I have got a lot of great info of this forum and appreciate the time many of you have put into this forum for Bengal Newbies like myself.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: NYADA
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum and what a precious little baby you have!! I'm happy Nyada seems to have settled in immediately and is more like a regular cat than a bengal. The thanks goes to your breeder who socialized Nyada well. That is so important. Every cat is different, every bengal is different. I hope your adventures with Nyada will be enjoyable. They are unique breed. Hopefully, you will keep us updated with pictures. Enjoy your little one.

I am so sorry for the loss of your other kitty.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:20 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks! I can tell he is different from a regular cat. My point was more for someone who may be on the fence about getting a Bengal Cat, my experience has been good so far. After doing some research and reading a lot of horror stories I thought maybe its more work than we wanted or maybe we won't be able to spend the time required to have a Bengal Cat and they might not be as social as other cats. Just seemed like some websites almost dissuade you from getting a Bengal. I was a little concerned at first and not sure what to expect but am very happy with the decision and my family enjoys him very much. I will add the caveat that we have only had him a little over a month and we have experience with cats (ANY cat can be a handful). I would hate for someone that really wanted a Bengal (and understands the responsibility of owning ANY cat) to get scared off and get another cat because of it.

And one other note, most of you probably know this, but if you meet a new cat or your cat is nervous, blink slowly at them. A lot of times they'll blink back :).

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hahahaha. What a great video - nice edit. Looks like Nyada is a "fearsome warrior". A cutie ought the pooch might feel a bit aggrieved, yet there he was waiting at the cage for his mate to come and play and starts wagging his tail.
Very cool, made me laugh.

Ps: love the cat palace.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One has to completely research the bengal breed. They are not like your ordinary cat. I have one of those and he sleeps 90% of the time. My bengal takes several short naps throughout the day and is running crazy the rest of the time. He will not settle down, even after a rough play session. He goes back and forth in and out of his enclosure. He paces on end. My other kitty is so quiet -- we never hear him. Raiden yowls all the time. Wants to play, wants treats, bowl of food is empty now. He keeps me on my toes constantly.

A lot of bengal owners enjoy that. But, I'm way up there age-wise and I no longer have the stamina to keep up with him. He wears me out! But at least I get exercise on our walks.

Trust me, your little one will create adventures for all of you. Give him time! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Nyada is adorable! Congratulations!

Based on your paw washing account, Nyada would probably love to have a pet water fountain.