It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:27 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have two beautiful bengal sisters, who are usually thick as thieves but recently Sheeba was had an accident where she got crushed and required surgery. So the surgery has been successful and she is on the road to recovery. arriving home last Friday and meeting our other cats came to greet her, the normally timid ruby started growling and hissing at Sheeba.

I would have thought that after a week it would settle down a bit but it isn't. Sheeba is sleeping with me and I am swapping beds over to cross contaminate scent but no? Is it just time?

Sheeba is normally the more confident of the two and for obvious reasons is quiet. She had her abdominal muscle torn from her hip flexors resulting in a herniated gut/bowel/stomach with some bleeding in her lungs. Poos and sees are normal and she is eating but just very quiet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. The issue here is that Sheeba came home smelling differently. A cat's sense of smell is 14 times stronger than ours. Medicinal smells, other people's smells, other animal smells came home with Sheeba after her stay. Swapping scents is the best thing you can do until the smell wears off and Ruby can once again feel as if Sheeba is a sister. Give it more time.

Happy to hear Sheeba is recovering. Major surgery really takes a toll on humans as well as cats. So patience and time is what you give her. She will recover at her own pace and it may take a few weeks. Hang in there. It will get better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I get this every time I take my girl Pearl to the vets even if it's a quick visit, Magic will hiss and growl at her.

I usually take off my top and socks that I'm wearing and give them a good rub down several times, this transfers my smell to them and their smell to each other, I also spray some Feliway ( you can buy this in spray form not just plug in) onto my hand rub it together then rub on both cats, usually by the second day things have calmed down.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Great advice. Clare. Hopefully we will get an update.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:14 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the advice, I have been using the pheromone spray around the house now and have decided to go on lock down. Dirt trays are in action and stopped biscuits, so ruby has no choice but to come and join Sheeba & Stickle at meal time, no going out at night.

Sheeba is tad more playful but still in recovery mode.

I should just say the Ruby is the strangest cat I have ever owned, doesn't like cuddles, petrified of almost anything new but whe she is feeding you can stroke her and she will rub her head in her food and purr, she pees in the shower or her water bowl!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Michelle
Sheeba marble bengal march 2015
Ruby marble bengal march 2015
Stickle Siamese/Birman cross September 2004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Many bengals have their own quirks! You, as an owner, just live with them as the cat is not going to change. Sheeba has been through a lot, recently. Every cat is different in the recovery time. She may need weeks to gain back all her strength. The poor little baby! Just keep doing what you're doing. I'm sorry it's taken so long to get them to become friendly sisters again, but you will get there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:02 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Sheeba still recovering slowly, just realised that she needed more pain meds, so having them twice per day. She has even started to play a little. Ruby getting better with her.

Now have microchip feeders so that Sheeba can be fed kitten food as she lost .5kg.

Thanks everyone for views, I though I was on the right track but always good to,bounce off other owners

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad to hear things are going better for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Week 3

The girls are still not back to being the best of buddies but as Sheeba moves further in her recovery and puts out normal happy pheremones I think they will get there. She is certainly doing better, was up thto curtains yesterday and I saw her leap over a hedge. She definitely wants to play with her sister and ruby is being curious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just keep hanging in there. It normally does not take this long, but cats have individual personalities and quirks.