It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aurora
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:45 am 
Bengal Kitten

We collected Aurora yesterday. She was great on the journey home (5 hours in the car). When we got home, she ran out of the cage which I was surprised about, and began wandering slowly around the room, meowing loudly non-stop. She wouldn't come near us at all. She hid on top of books, squashed in a book shelf.

I moved her back into her little cage, as it was comfier, she could see us from it and it would allow her to hide as she wanted. She stayed in it until the middle of the night, when she came out (in our room) and began wandering around again, meowing. Eventually, she let me pet her and pick her up. She constantly wanted to go higher (which I know they like to do), but she was constantly meowing, trying to climb higher.

I took her through to the living room/lounge to let my other half sleep. Played with her, let her wander round the room again and she kept coming back to me for reassurance and a cuddle every minute, after she'd wandered round or played for a few minutes.

Is this meowing just nerves/curiosity, or have we just bought the loudest kitten in the world?

Post subject: Re: Aurora
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on Aurora. First things -- she should have been placed in a smaller room with food, water, litter box and beds. It is very common behavior what you are experiencing. She has left her mom and siblings and her humans at the breeders and now has a new person and a new environment and smells and no sign of her family. It is scary and she will want to hide. Bengals will investigate everything and at every height. Usually you place the kitten in a safe room so she can decompress and calm down. This is a whole new experience for her. Allowing her to roam your entire home -- it's a mansion to her. That being said ... she's exploring and she will put her scent all over everything. As for crying -- bengals are criers, howlers, yowlers. Get used to it. They are not your normal kitty. Aurora will not sleep all day, she will want to be with you at all times, she will have boundless energy. She is a bengal!

Make sure you bengal proof your home just as you would for a child! Bengals can and will get into everything and you now have a kitty who will behave like a two-year old child for the rest of her life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:39 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank-you for your reply!

I think that I was just scared that she was unhappy or would be constantly meowing, which she isn't.

We had only let her in the living room, then moved to the bedroom. But she's now been in every room (we only have 5 rooms) and is very happy, although she tends to only go in the living room or bedroom. We're slowly moving the litter/food from the bedroom to the kitchen as I realise we made the mistake of not putting her and it in the kitchen from day 1.

She's absolutely fine though and she only really meows when she's wanting something, mainly attention or going to the toilet.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sometimes it can take a while. If she is the only pet in the house, it can go faster as you aren't dealing with introductions. Make sure you have a tall cat tree for her and lots of places where she can sleep. My house is full of cat trees and cat beds and mine takes turns sleeping in each one. Moving a litter box can be an issue. Hopefully, she will find it just fine and use it.

Just enjoy Aurora!